Simple Summer Meal Planning
Updated: Feb 18
It's finally summertime! Summer can bring a change of work schedule, upcoming vacations and beach days, triple digit temps, and the kids are home more! Sounds like a fun summer right?!
When temperatures hit the triple digits nobody wants to cook inside. Let me tell you, my AC unit is TERRIBLE. My house gets so hot in the summer I literally camp out in my bedroom where the air is cooler. So spending hours during the summer in the kitchen meal prepping on Sundays is just not ideal for me.
I know I'll be spending long days at the beach or at the pool and I want to have some abs, or at least not feel bloated. Even though we are already half way through June there are still lots of things you can do to look and feel your best for the summer and most importantly stay cool, refreshed, and keep the family happy. So put on that SPF, grab your towel, and enjoy your summer with these easy meal prep tips for summertime!
Lil Sweetie's Meal Planning Summer Goal:
Get abs, spend less time cooking in my hot apartment, and enjoy more time with friends and family! Here's how to do it!
Summer Meal Plan Tips
Eat leaner protein
Eat enough healthy fats
Try to eat carbs before and after your workout (and skip carbs for the other times)
Eliminate dairy, sugar, and processed foods
Drink lots of water (the high temperatures in the summer can dehydrate you quick
For when it's really hot out Grill or use a slow cooker
Use your farmers market finds and what's in season
Make foods with lots of leftovers for lunches and snacks (kids are home more and will want to eat more)
Meal prep your vacation
Keep it simple
Marinade like nobody's business! (Like this one)
Grill or cook meats and store in the freezer
Cook fresh and fast (think salads and cold dishes)
Meal plan ahead of time (use the same protein all week and just change up the sides & flavors so you spend less time actually cooking)
Set up theme days (i.e. Mondays & Tuesdays slow cooker day, Wednesday sandwich/panini night, Thursday salad night, and weekends are meant for grilling by the pool!)
Challenge yourself to a pantry clean out (try to use everything you have in your pantry)
Plan picnic-style meals
Meal Ideas for the WHOLE family
Summer Breakfast: You can bake it once and freeze them to have them on hand for those super hot days or stick to refrigerated items!
Egg Bakes (Recipe Here)
Smoothies (add veggies too!)
Yogurt with berries
Power Muffins (Recipe Here )
Protein waffles or pancakes (Recipe Here)
Summer Lunches: I would keep these super simple! Utilize fresh veggies and leftovers as much as possible!
Salad in a jar
Tex-Mex (taco salads, nachos, etc.)
Summer Dinners: If you cook a few different types of protein once a week you can utilize leftovers to re-create new dishes throughout the week! Turkey and chicken can be used with so many different spices to really change up the flavor each night.
Grilled chicken (grill a huge batch of chicken and use leftovers for everything all week long)
Stir Frys (Recipe Here)
Grilled Chicken Salads (Like this One)
Crock-Pot Curry, fajitas, steak carnitas, chili, stuffed peppers, etc...
Grilled fish with quinoa and veggies
No-heat noodle bowls
Poke and hand rolls
Snacks: These should also be really simple! Stick to easy grab and go snacks that can be packed easily with little to no refrigeration for those days spent outdoors.
Popsicles (make your own with protein!)
8 no-Bake Oatmeal Energy Ball (Recipe Here)
Eating whole foods is the key not just for summer. Whole foods are foods aren't processed! You should be able to read the ingredients on the package. Try to eliminate refined sugars and flours. Enjoy whole grains, protein, veggies, and fruit. Don't be afraid to eat healthy fats either.
Don't forget the 80/20 rule! Try to eat healthy and whole 80% of the time and the other 20% is just real life. Being well rounded and flexible with whatever summer vacation brings you is the key. Just keep your treats consumed within moderation.
22 no-cook dinners that will keep you cool all summer long Need more ideas or recipes? Check out this web page for