10 Tips for Working Out in the Morning
You keep on promising yourself you'll get to the gym after work but you're just too darn tired at the end of your day. Plus, something is always bound to come up unexpectedly in the evening. So that leaves you with trying to exercise before work in the morning. Impossible, you say? It's tough, but you can do it! It's either that, or continue missing the gym and sacrificing your heath.
So it's time to rise and shine! Here are ten tips to help kick start your new morning routine:
1. Make sure you are prepared. Have everything you need to make your morning more efficient ready! Consider packing your work bag the night before, get your workout clothes ready, or have your sneakers by the door. If you are getting ready for work at the gym prepare all of your stuff the night before.
2. Establish a bedtime routine! This one for me is the most important. If possible try to get your full 8 hours of sleep and set a time you have to be in bed by. This will help you get enough sleep and feel awake and refreshed for your early morning alarm clock.
3. Find your support system. Find a friend who wants to work out with you, make a new one at the gym, and get buy-in from your partner. Having these people supporting you will make it easier for you to go to bed on time and wake up ready to demolish your day.
4. Own your day! The day is all yours so make the most of it!
5. Plan your workout in advance. Go to the gym with a plan to maximize your time. Don't waste time trying to figure out what you will do that day.
6. Do not press the snooze. If you press the snooze you are more likely to want to sleep in and skip the gym. Plus, having your alarm go off every few minutes will annoy the people around you.
7. Give yourself something to look forward to. Plan your favorite exercise, do something fun in the evening with your free time, or get some new workout gear you've been eyeing. Make your favorite healthy smoothie when you are done or my favorite, treat yourself to a nice large HOT COFFEE!
8. Think about how amazing you'll feel afterward knowing your workout will be DONE!
9. Make it a habit. Create a routine and expectation of yourself! Stick with it for at least 3 weeks and it'll become your normal schedule.
10. Give yourself some flexibility. Know that life happens and sometimes you might need to skip the gym but don't worry, if it has become a habit you'll pick up right where you left off.
A few other tips that I've found that help me:
Turn your phone to silent after 8pm so texts don't wake you up
Don't let your phone or computer or TV sabotage your sleep (try reading before bed instead of checking IG stories).
Get a noise machine to help you sleep early
Don't linger in bed in the morning.
Keep your eye on the prize!
Sleep in your workout clothes
Pack everything for the entire day the night before
Do laundry in between your early morning sweat sesh (nothing like knowing you are our of clean undies to get you up to do laundry and go to the gym)
Give yourself plenty of time (so you won't feel super rushed at the gym) or be late for work.
I found that I need to give myself some time after my workout to cool down, stretch, and get my mind ready for the next part of my day...WORK!
Schedule in rest days to create more flexibility if something comes up (you can alternate days)
Give yourself a break. If it's leg day and you just don't feel like doing legs, do something else instead of skipping altogether.
Create a schedule with your significant other of what time each of you will go to the gym and take care of the kiddos.
#Fitness #FitOVer50 #FamilyTime #FitnessLife #Workout #Mornings #EarlyBird #MorningWorkouts